Influencers are the people who teach us the right ways to do things. We follow them, we consider them trendsetters, we trust their advice, their diet plans, their daily routine and the books they read. In short – we try to emulate them.
Influencer marketing has become one of the biggest priorities for many brands and a whole ecosystem has developed around them – we have now influencers in basically any industry, countless agencies that sell them to brands, even virtual influencers. Why the hype? Because it works.
Curious to know how and why do influencers make so much money? The head of a global influencer agency explains.
Want to start it on your own?
One of the best suggestions you can ever get is to be everywhere. Create, write about it, publish, get into podcasts, video interviews, submit slides, attend meetings or whatever… just be there and show up with a consistent brand. Here are some other things which you need to consider if you want success on social:
- Business knowledge – “The most successful influencers are the ones that had jobs before they were influencers. Real jobs. Because they know what it’s like to be on the receiving end of something that’s not so good, and so they make sure they deliver great products.” says Brittany Hennessy.
- Your unique channel – Instagram is where 93% of social media influencers focus their content. Make yours stand out! Build a long-term strategy., and use the latest tools.
- Know who are the other influencers in your niche. Use BuzzSumo to see what topics others have tackled, and where they share content.
- A media kit – think of it as a visual resume. It shows to brands who you are, what you do and how you can help them. Canva has awesome templates here.
- Attend events, socialise and grow your circle offline.
- Collaborate with bigger influencers that may open a door for you.
How much can you make as an influencer?
Financial Times, showed how if you have an audience of 100,000 followers, you can charge brands $2,700 per post. Four to 20 million followers typically will get you between $6,000 – 17,500 every time you upload a sponsored post. If you’ve built up your audience to 30K and have a strong engagement rate (around 7%), you can earn up to $350 USD per post. But don’t limit yourself to just Instagram feed posts. See here what else you can charge for. Also to help you set a price range, or know your own worth, you can try the Instagram Money Calculator and have an estimate of your potential earnings per post.
But let’s face it now, with all guides and tactics, is it easy to become an influencer? Answering is the co-founder of Viral Nation:“No. It’s like winning the lottery. A lot of it is luck. Being an influencer takes hard work, it’s a full-time job, and you could be working at it for four years before you hit it big. You have a great chance of being an influencer if you do something new or trending. Unfortunately, though, beauty wins.”
In closing, we leave you with eleven extra tips on how to make money as a social media influencer, because after all, besides luck, business it’s about profit. Let us know if this article was helpful!
By Diana Zaharia, Digital Marketing Consultant